Interviews and Body Language

Interviews and Body Language

“It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it!” 

What you do with your body during an interview can enhance or destroy what you say! 

Did you know that lots of research has been done on verbal and non-verbal communications? 

And research finds that 93% equates to non-verbal communication, leaving on 7% for actual verbal communication. 

7 percent of any message is conveyed through words, 38% through certain vocal elements, and 55% through nonverbal elements (facial expressions, gestures, posture, etc). 

A candidate can give out thousands of non-verbal cues within the first minute of meeting an interviewer and those messages make more of an impact than the words that you use during the interview. Our body language says a lot about who we are and our emotional state and poor body language often sends a message that we are stressed or fearful.

 Body Language Tips


Have a gentle but firm handshake (no death grips or cold fish handshakes)

Control your hand movements, when you speak your gesticulation should be natural use sparingly.

When not talking, keep hands in a natural position on your lap.

Keep eye contact, as much as possible but sense the comfort level of the interviewer.

Be mindful of your posture; sit upright but in a relaxed way.

Lean forward slightly to show interest.

Smile and look pleasantly interested.

Nod occasionally when they are talking, this shows you are interested and listening.

Dress appropriately for the interview; it will give you confidence and the interviewer confidence that you can do the role. Try to get a feel for the dress code prior to interview. 


Do Not's

Cross your arms

Twirl your hair

Fidget; this is can be a sign of anxiety or disinterest.

Keep your hands away from your mouth, as this can be in indication of hiding something or lying.

Don’t be a statue, or overly relaxed

Don’t Grin like the Cheshire Cat; smile and look pleasantly interested.

No hands behind your head or feet on the desk!